Recently I turned my life on its head and left the comfort zone of home town, family and friends in Wellington (NZ), to start a new chapter in Western Australia. As I adjust to my new surroundings, I find myself thinking in the shape of stories and letters home. Feel free to take a seat and read on..

Saturday, June 2, 2012

I Heart Sing - Part One, Botanic Gardens


Last month I returned to Singapore to assist with a Food Styling & Photography Portfolio Workshop run by LA-based food stylist Denise Vivaldo, along with photographer Heather Gill.  
I had a ball.  I've owned my camera for about five years, and never really bothered to get the hang of it - the automatic setting makes everything too easy… however since I have moved to WA I've started to want to understand more about how it works.  And since half the workshop was focussed (excuse the pun) on the photography aspect of food styling, it was time to challenge myself to move out of my comfort zone.  
In 9 days I took over 1,200 photos: about 350 on my iPhone, and the rest on my camera.  Given that I was fiddling with the settings without being able to remember exactly what I had done, I knew there was a reasonable chance that I would get home and find I had somewhere between nothing and bugger all to show for my efforts. I'm quite pleasantly surprised as I had plenty of more-than-adequate "holiday snaps", a good lot of photos that were better than I expected, and even a handful that I think are pretty damn fine!
So: what follows is the first in what will be several parts of a series of photos of my time in Singapore, starting with the Singapore Botanic Gardens:
Cannonball Tree Flower
Cannonball Tree
Cannonball Tree Flower
A vacuum cleaner would be good!
Morning Tai Chi 
Part of a morning photography club
Morning meditation
Happy tourist
The lovely Miss Jazreel
Looking hot - perhaps not in a good way, but happy
The Team - Jaz, Denise, Heather
Me again
Orchids
Orchids
Um..  orchids
Not even breaking a sweat 
I loved the patterns everywhere
Monitor lizard - or "Killer Komodo Dragon"
- depending on who is telling the story
It's a sign
Ginger Flower
Ginger Flower 2
Other "Killer Komodo Dragon"
Yep.. orchids
More patterns
Intense
More patterns
One of my favourites



No comments:

Post a Comment